Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's Finally Here

Every year, I spend my whole summer(not really)waiting for the best baseball of the summer. The best athletes in the world are finally taking baseball seriously. After coasting through the regular season, the playoffs are finally here. The intensity level is off the charts, and whole cities get involved. I think you know what I'm talking about.



That's right, the Little League World Series is finally here. Two weeks of non-stop, high-pressure baseball. Even better, it's played by thirteen year olds. After reading that last sentence, you can imagine that breakdowns and errors are likely to occur. Even better, they're committed by thirteen year olds.



Okay, but in all serious the LLWS does get pretty exciting. In past years, there have been walk off home runs, extra innings, and emotional breakdowns. The Little League World Series has been going since 1947 and is annually held in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in late August.



For people like me who get about five channels, one of which is ABC, I constantly check ESPN for updates and watch the games I can with my brothers. In 2006, I remember watching a classic. Georgia was playing Japan in the championship game. Being American, I naturally favored Georgia. They were led by a great pitcher and overall player, Kyle Carter. The game was very dramatic and ended up with a Georgia player hitting a walk-off homer to win the game three to two.



The format for the series goes as follows. There are sixteen teams, eight American and eight international. They are divided into two brackets and the winners face off in a championship. Every year it seems like there is a great championship game, so make sure to tune in to ABC and ESPN over the next week.

3 comments:

  1. Let's go Staten Island!!!

    -Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any way you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete