Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Phil Collins is an Odd Human Being

I recently saw The Hangover with my cousins. About a week before my brother had turned me onto Zach Galifianakis and his skits on FunnyorDie.com. He became my favorite comedian after witnessing his hilarious interviews, body language, and never before seen ideas of comedy.



The Hangover only enhanced my opinions of him. It's quite possibly the funniest movie of all time. In one scene, which is on Youtube but has the embedding disabled, Zach and the guys walk into their hotel villa and find Mike Tyson singing "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_oAvdvQW18&feature=channel



Tyson then punches out Zach because he and the guys stole his tiger. When I thought about this scene, I wanted to hear the song again and typed it into Youtube. I had never heard of Phil Collins before, but by the first image that I saw I could tell that he was a weird-looking guy.



But the next video I saw heightened these feelings to extraordinary amounts. I never thought that one video would be so influential in my feelings toward another human being, but this one was.



First watch this video. The first thought that popped into my head was, "Wow what a creepy person." Then I asked myself why he had to slightly lessen my high opinion of The Hangover. At that point I took it upon myself to criticize this horrible video.



At 0:54, Phil appears walking up the steps looking normal. However, at about 1:00 we get a close-up look at him. It seems that he's wearing a trench-coat. At a better observation, I spotted three chins which is a lot for a man who isn't fat. These two things make Phil look a little odder than he already is. Pause the video at 1:08. His eyes have a look of craziness in them. At 1:36 he oddly descends the stairs, staring at his feet and then the crowd. At 2:05, Collins shows a face full of malice and jealousy that just looks weird. While doing this, his eyes nervously scan the crowd as if looking for a sniper.



At 3:39, Phil assumes position at his drums and at 3:41 he pulls his drum sticks out of nowhere and plays the sequence that has made the song famous. Then he picks up the intensity. The guitarist at 4:31 reminded me of ZZ Top.



The sequence from 4:57 to 5:17 was possibly the worst 20 seconds of my life. It was also the final straw. I immediately stopped watching this wretched video and went swimming, trying to clean my soul. This video has scarred me for life and ruined my opinion of The Hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment